Recent data demonstrates a rapid onset of interest in advanced security protocols in the Oil & Gas sector, particularly with respect to biometric access control. However, industry realities could pose restrictions to optimal implementation.
What’s the Problem?
If the complexity of the daily challenges in Oil & Gas weren’t enough, the high potential for risk exposure and security breach certainly doesn’t help.
Like it often does, technology is here to offset some of those risks, but before we dive into INVIXIUM’s biometric access control solutions, let’s see an overview of the issues:
- Harsh Environments Disrupt Biometric Accuracy: Oil & Gas facilities are rarely located in friendly climates. Offshore platforms, refineries, and pipelines are commonly exposed to severe weather patterns and rugged terrain. The results are data disruption in biometric devices, not to mention the effects high humidity and corrosive substances can have on sensitive tech. Which is often fatal.
- Integration with Existing Systems: Legacy technology often resists new system integrations. Particularly with security protocols such as surveillance cameras, alarm systems and door access controls. Specialized expertise is always necessary when dealing with what are often sensitive tech infrastructure, to ensure compatibility and interoperability.
- Large Volume of Personnel and Assets Increases Complexity: High traffic and heavy asset loads are common phenomena on site, and not only pose higher security risks but can make daily tracking and management difficult to control. Legacy solutions such as keys and access cards are not only insufficient in ensuring security, but offer extreme limitations in data, tracking and traffic flow analytics.
- Regulatory Compliance Oversight: A daily challenge on traditional sites, regulatory oversight is next to impossible to monitor and adequately track across remote and offshore locations. Common issues such as card sharing, spoof prevention etc. expose liability potential, increase security leaks not to mention cause reduction in overall operating efficiencies.
- Balancing Operational Efficiency vs Maximum Security: The never-ending tension between ensuring strong security while minimizing operation disruptions is a reality on every site. Particularly in the controlled chaos of the Oil & Gas sector, where challenges and issues can vary wildly every day and where quick access is critical.
Relevant Biometric Solution Features for Oil & Gas
- High-end Materials: The security solutions should be made from durable and high-quality materials that resist corrosion, rust, and wear and tear. Materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, and reinforced polycarbonate can provide the necessary durability.
- Scratch-Resistant Glass and Metal: The security solutions should have scratch-resistant glass and metal surfaces to withstand daily use and maintain their appearance over time.
- Heat Sink: Oil and gas facilities can get very hot, and security solutions should have a heat sink to dissipate heat and prevent damage to the internal components.
- Vandal Protection: Physical security measures, such as vandal protection, can deter tampering or sabotage attempts. For example, security cameras should be enclosed in a durable and tamper-proof casing to protect against vandalism.
How Invixium’s TITAN is an All-in-One Solution?
IXM TITAN is a biometric access control solution that combines ruggedness and durability with an elegant design, making it an ideal choice for the oil and gas industry. Here are some additional details on its features:
- Rugged Construction: IXM TITAN is built to withstand harsh environments and challenging conditions, with an all-aluminum body, Corning® Gorilla® glass LCD, and an IK10 impact rating.
- Biometric Authentication: The device supports multiple biometric authentication options, including face recognition combined with fingerprint or finger vein recognition, providing high levels of security and accuracy.
- Integration Capabilities: IXM TITAN can be integrated with various systems, such as security cameras and door locks, to provide a comprehensive access control solution.
- Remote Management: The device can be remotely managed and monitored through a web-based interface, allowing administrators to track user access and manage security settings from anywhere.
- Elegant Design: Despite its ruggedness, IXM TITAN has a sleek and modern design that can complement any interior décor, making it a stylish addition to any oil and gas facility.
- Multiple Applications: IXM TITAN is ideal for more applications such as biometric time tracking, self-attestation, surveillance and more.
Overall, IXM TITAN is a biometric access control solution that is both rugged and elegant, making it an excellent choice for the oil and gas industry. Its features provide high levels of security, integration, and remote management, while its design can enhance the aesthetic appeal of any facility. To schedule a demo of the TITAN, click here.